Εάν ταις γλώσσαις των ανθρώπων λαλώ και των αγγέλων, αγάπην δε μη έχω, γέγονα χαλκός ηχών ή κύμβαλον αλαλάζον.
Και εάν έχω προφητείαν και ειδώ τα μυστήρια πάντα και πάσαν την γνώσιν,
και εάν έχω πάσαν την πίστιν, ώστε όρη μεθιστάνειν, αγάπην δε μη έχω, ουδέν ειμί.
Νυνί δε μένει πίστις, έλπίς, αγάπη, τα τρία ταύτα μείζων δε τούτων η αγάπη.
(Juliette Binoche in “Trois couleurs: Bleu” by Krzysztof Kieslowski)
– How’s the trial going?
– They’ll get their punishment, I promise you.
(Samia Muriel Chancrin and Diane Kruger in “Aus dem Nichts” by Fatih Akin, 2017)
I’m no better…
than a beast…
don’t I have the right…
(Min-sik Choi in “Oldboy” by Chan-wook Park, 2003)
– Yeah, well, adjust your goals, not the world.
– Is that the same advice you’d give Pen?
– No! She’s young. She should change the world any chance she gets.
(Ralph Fiennes and Matthias Schoenaerts in “A Bigger Splash” by Luca Guadagnino, 2015)
– It’s like this. You wake up. Then you watch TV. You get in the car, then you listen to the radio. Then you go to you little job or your little school but we’re not gonna hear about that on the 6pm news.
Why? Because nothing is really happening
Then you go home and watch some more TV. Or maybe it’s a fun night, and you go out and you watch a movie. I mean it’s got so bad, that half the time the people on TV, inside the TV, they’re watching TV. And what are all these people watching?
People like me.
And what are all you doing right now? You’re watching me. Don’t you think you would have changed the channel by now if all I did was getting “A” in geometry?
(Ezra Miller in “We Need to Talk About Kevin” by Lynne Ramsay, 2011)
– I mean, you’re a doctor, right? Am I dying? Can you tell me that?
– No, you can’t tell me?
– I can’t tell you.
– You can’t tell me if you can’t tell me?
– No, you can’t tell me… because you’re not allowed to?
(Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Synecdoche, New York” by Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
– Have you got a stutter?
– Y-y-yeah. A b-b-bit.
– OK, fine. Don’t worry, don’t worry. Do you know where they’ve gone?
– Fine, fine. Where?
– The Ca… Hotel.
– Hotel? Which hotel?
– Ca… The Ca… The Ca… The Ca…
– Go on.
– All right. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Slowly. Very slowly. Slowly.
– The C… The Ca… The C… The Ca…
– No hurry.
– The C-C-Ca…
– Sing it. Sing.
– # The Ca… The Ca… The Ca… The Ca… Ca…
– Plenty of time.
– # Ca… Ca… The Ca…
– Oh, come on! Sorry. I’m sorry. Um… All right, wait.
– # The Ca… The…
– Here. Write it. Cathcart Towers Hotel?
– Cathcart Towers Hotel.
(John Cleese and Michael Palin in “A Fish Called Wanda” by Charles Crichton and John Cleese, 1988)
– All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.
I’ m not greedy.
It really… tied the room together.
Darkness washed over the Dude. Darker than a black steer’s tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom.
(Jeff Bridges in “The Big Lebowski” by the Coen brothers, 1998)
– Shut up, enough! I told you to shut up. Make a choice.
– Don’t make me choose! I can’t!
– I’ll send them both over there!
– I can’t choose!
– Take both children away! Move!
– Take my little girl! Take my baby!
(Karlheinz Hackl and Meryl Streep in “Sophie’s Choice” by Alan J. Pakula, 1982)