– I mean, you’re a doctor, right? Am I dying? Can you tell me that?
– No, you can’t tell me?
– I can’t tell you.
– You can’t tell me if you can’t tell me?
– No, you can’t tell me… because you’re not allowed to?
(Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Synecdoche, New York” by Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
– Have you got a stutter?
– Y-y-yeah. A b-b-bit.
– OK, fine. Don’t worry, don’t worry. Do you know where they’ve gone?
– Fine, fine. Where?
– The Ca… Hotel.
– Hotel? Which hotel?
– Ca… The Ca… The Ca… The Ca…
– Go on.
– All right. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Slowly. Very slowly. Slowly.
– The C… The Ca… The C… The Ca…
– No hurry.
– The C-C-Ca…
– Sing it. Sing.
– # The Ca… The Ca… The Ca… The Ca… Ca…
– Plenty of time.
– # Ca… Ca… The Ca…
– Oh, come on! Sorry. I’m sorry. Um… All right, wait.
– # The Ca… The…
– Here. Write it. Cathcart Towers Hotel?
– Cathcart Towers Hotel.
(John Cleese and Michael Palin in “A Fish Called Wanda” by Charles Crichton and John Cleese, 1988)
– All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.
I’ m not greedy.
It really… tied the room together.
Darkness washed over the Dude. Darker than a black steer’s tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom.
(Jeff Bridges in “The Big Lebowski” by the Coen brothers, 1998)
– Shut up, enough! I told you to shut up. Make a choice.
– Don’t make me choose! I can’t!
– I’ll send them both over there!
– I can’t choose!
– Take both children away! Move!
– Take my little girl! Take my baby!
(Karlheinz Hackl and Meryl Streep in “Sophie’s Choice” by Alan J. Pakula, 1982)
– Joely? What if you stayed this time?
– I walked out the door… There’s no memory left.
– Come back and make up a good-bye, at least. Let’s pretend we had one… Bye, Joel.
– I love you.
– (whispering) Meet me in Montauk.
(Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” by Michel Gondry, 2004)